Tuesday, 2 April 2013

FontsUFancy

I apologise for abandoning my calligraphy blog, but I have been otherwise engaged with my thrilling new project - FontsUfancy - soon to be launched on a URL near you. I have discovered that writing over fonts is the way forward for my calligraphy... it is a lot easier and means that I no longer have to waste precious time ruling up cards and paper - time which is now better spent watching Real Desperate Housewives or that fab Noel Edmonds on Deal or No Deal. This is my first FontsUfancy experiment:-


writing-over-fonts
This is not Calligraphy.... this is FontsUFancy Calligraphy...


Over the last few weeks I have been downloading as many fonts I can find on the internet, meaning that I now have an extensive font library for my wedding calligraphy clients to choose from, initial market research has proved positive [Mum and Auntie Violet think it's a good idea]. Handwritten envelopes are now a breeze to produce, I no longer have to worry about wonky 'a's' or terrible word spacing, and I can still charge £3.50 a pop.
Obviously I have needed help to get FontsUfancy up and running. My niece Charmaine has helpfully offered to work the printer, she is a resourceful young girl and is doing this with just one digit on her left hand leaving herself free to update Facebook with her right. Her BFF, Krystella, who is predicted to get a GCSE grade C in art this summer, is colouring in the lightly printed fonts using a blend of watercolour paint and felt-tips, when she tires of this I have granted her permission to play merry with the crayons. It will look fashionably arty and I doubt anyone will be any the wiser. Terrance [age 14 - only three inexplicable stains on his hoodie] is on loan from Carol next door, and has kindly offered to work the Twitter feed; he has had more success with this since I pointed out that the word is 'awesome' NOT 'whoresome', it is not his fault that he has a speech impediment and that he was taught to spell phonetically, nevertheless he has promised me 14,000 new followers by tomorrow teatime due to his flourishing relationship with party planner @Pamsbigfavours, and networking queen @100wayswithchaircovers - both have promised to feature FontsUfancy on their widely read blogs [300,000 new readers every hour according to their stats].
Meanwhile, Dave from down the pub is in charge of web design and copy; I have suggested that words and phrases such as 'professional', 'experienced', 'gorgeous yet affordable', be liberally used throughout... possibly in every other sentence, just to punch home just how experienced, professional, gorgeous yet affordable FontsUfancy really is in comparison to its competitors.

This may well be the end for Scarlet Blue Calligraphy, but please wish me well with this exciting new venture - should be all systems go by late April!!

First published on Scarlet Blue Calligraphy 07/03/2013

57 comments:

  1. I too will tweet, facebook, blog and instagram you. Expect at least a zillion new followers. Or one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bene: I am connecting to a zillion people with businesses... and one customer, who accidentally clicked on the wrong Twitter feed.
      Sx

      Delete
    2. ..... the poor man has now purchased a 5 year supply of cup cakes, 10 wedding dresses and 700 metres of bunting...
      Sx

      Delete
  2. Just LOOK at this marriage of olde world art and new world technology. It's like when that printing press-thingy first started to peel away bible pages. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Banish: I am so freed up for time now that I may even go and get a proper job :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this mean that we will no longer see Miss Scarlet flourish her nibs? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Lax: I will sometimes write complete posts out in calligraphy... just to make them even more difficult to read than usual :-)
      I will also include my notes to the milkman and my shopping list.
      Sx

      Delete
  5. I'm Quite sure I read this post already... Oh I did! Sad to see you taking down your shingle... but time stands still for no man or woman for that matter... Onward and upward Miss Scarlet. All the very best with your new "Not Calligraphy" project...

    And don't forget to dot your T's and cross your I's

    Happy Tittling XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prinny: My pictures were being stolen and were appearing in some dodgy places. I don't like my tittles being abused in dodgy places.
      Sx

      Delete
  6. All of the spambots that read my blog are very impressed with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Kinky: You should have seen the spam I've already deleted from this post... you are correct, the spambots were getting very excitable!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just took off the dreaded captha code (spelling) so the weird spambots are attacking me now too. Have to give them something to buzz about

      Delete
  8. LOLOLOL (yes I've been around too many teens) Whoresome? Think we should all change to that particular spilling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody: I am trying to set a new trend :-)
      Sx

      Delete
  9. I would be interested in you designing some of my business cards hen. But first, I need a font example. Can you show me a sample of both letters and numbers? Let's say... your bank account number, pin numbers, home address (I actually already have that) plus your signature.

    Run along now hen, hurry, I've a shopping spree to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Files: Indeed. But first I will need a large CASH deposit before I do anything at all. You know it makes sense.... or two weeks in your Spanish villa might suffice.
      Sx

      Delete
  10. So, you like your titties being abused in non-dodgy places? We should be told! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  11. If ever you visit I'd love you to not-calligraphy a poem onto my bedroom wall.... I've been thinking of doing it myself but realised that my inbuilt hand-tremor, lack of awareness of brush/pen behaviour, and spelling blindness all doom me to make a runny confusing spidery mess..... (not sure which poem yet...decisions...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy: It would be a pleasure! I will give you the easy method of doing this.... something I learnt at college to keep the lines steady.
      Sx

      Delete
  12. John: My tittles only run free when in polite company.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh! I interloped between John's ditty and Scarlet's reply, I feel all gooseberry pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't know what happened there! I'm sure John won't mind.
      Sx

      Delete
  14. Just the mention of a note to the milkman undid me. Who still has a milkman to write to? Who even remembers a milkman. Or how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dinah: I am living in a bygone age :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do have quite a fontness for you. :¬)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr Maps: If only Mr Files was as sweet as you :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me 'bout it! :¬)

      xxx

      Delete
    2. You will have to give him some lessons in charm, Mr Maps.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I tried, he made me sleep in the barn with the goats. :(

      xxx

      Delete
  18. Are you the new Pippa Middleton of the font world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Joey: I will try to be if I can can my mitts on some pretty frocks!
      Sx

      Delete
  19. The 'new' PM?! Has the old one worn out? That's what playing with fonts does for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zig: I think Pippa needs a holiday... but if she is too busy then I would be happy to step in and go on holiday for her.
      Sx

      Delete
  20. Very excited for you, Scarls, this is a very bold move that verges on the avant garde . X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eryl: I always like to be on the cutting edge :-)
      Sx

      Delete
  21. This is all way over my head, but I sort of gather you've found a much easier way of plying your trade, but with the same experienced, professional, gorgeous yet affordable results. All very impressive....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick: I am elevating the great art of colouring in to a new high.... I may even encourage clients to do their own colouring in and simply provide the lightly printed fonts, which would free up time for me to squeeze Loose Women into my hectic schedule.
      Sx

      Delete
  22. I can't help wondering if associating your internet presence with the words "experienced", "professional", "gorgeous yet affordable" might possibly lead to the occasional unfortunate malentendu. But no doubt it may lead to an amusing blogpost or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Auty: You are giving me ideas.... I may be changing the tag line beneath my header...
      Sx

      Delete
  23. Don't we all wish we could make a decent living doing what we love the most. Best luck to you, ma chère. I can't wait to see how all of this will onfold.

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jon: The problem is that whenever I try to make a living from something I like doing.... then I stop liking it so much! Always the way.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish you well in all that you do. FontsUFancy Calligraphy and Lady Garden Maintenance, I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitzi: Because of the late arrival of Spring, Lady Garden maintenance has been kept to the minimum.... I am knitting merkins instead.
      Sx

      Delete
  26. All the best to you, Miss Scarlet!

    I could announce your new endeavor on my blog but I remain confused by any new technology such as Instagram, etc.

    I can't even get Feedly to work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. MJ: Erm... Charmaine and Krystella have sacked me from FontsUFancy and will be appearing in the next series of Dragon's Den... so no links please... as I am now suing them for stealing my idea. It could all get rather messy.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I meant to write a post today... but life... you know... that sort of stuff... has detained me...
    BUT the FGES were posted to Mr Devine yesterday.... just saying :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just found your blog and this post is wonderful to read! Font wise, we used a combination of Scriptina and Apollo MT for our wedding invitations. They look really well together, so maybe it's something you could use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Marjolein! This was one of my tongue in cheek posts that seems to have misfired!
      Hello and welcome!
      Sxx

      Delete
    2. It's a good job Mr. Files has gone abroad, you just know where he'd go with 'tongue in cheek'! :¬)

      xxx

      Delete
  30. Brilliant, love it and a hoot of a post to boot. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do wish you well Scarlet in your venture. It is something I know nothing about but do appreciate the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  32. xoxoxox you really do make me laugh, sugar! ;) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yo! Your Made Of The Write Stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous idea, Scarls - genius x

    ReplyDelete
  35. there's an award for you at my place, sugar! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. How can you fail to be anything other than gorgeous and professional, wishing you well but it already sounds like a success xxx

    ReplyDelete